View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 11:38 AM

I'm building a sitka/mahogany kit from Stewmac right now. Just about to enter the "finishing" stage on it.
I have worked a bit with wood in the past, but not for guitars. Between help at www.kitguitarsforum.com and Bill Cory's book, plus Stewmac's DVD and instructions, I've managet not to mess it up. Actually, the most time consuming part was constructing molds and fixtures, that kind of thing.
A good mold is totally necessary, so I bought one. In addition, I bought a Bosch Colt, which is a small laminate-type router, and a jig from Kenneth Michaels Guitars to use for binding and purfling. That makes the binding almost idiot proof. You will spend a lot for the 1st build, but if you make others, you will already have a lot of what you need.
I've found it to be fun and rewarding, and intend to make several more either with their kits, or LMI's or Ken's or John's.
Go for it, have fun.
BoomerSooner, I just started a topic on my kit in this forum. You can take a look at what came with the kit, and some of the things I've done so far.

Bob

Last edited by naccoachbob; 02-05-2010 at 04:02 PM.