View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 11:35 AM

Default New resonator sought. Considerations?

I'm looking for advice from experienced resonator owners in addition to or beyond the information I've already gathered from reading various articles and watching videos. What would you have done differently? What do you wish you would have considered when you bought one that you might not have?

I am leaning towards a National NRP Tricone based on my preferences, expected playing styles on it (mixture of playing slide and fretting notes and chords, hybrid picking and fingerpicking) and listening to others play various models. I intend to play multiple models this afternoon/weekend, including an M1 Tricone and the M1-T Thunderbox (which I've come to learn is slang for a toilet or something along those lines, across the pond, haha). I know 100% that I want a round neck, 95% that I prefer paying for high quality and attention to detail, 70% that I prefer the tricone over single cone, 55% that I prefer a steel body, and 55% that I prefer a 12 fret model.

I think I like the slightly greater metallic sound an all steel resonator seems to give. Am I delusional or does a wood body actually take a bit of that sound away? I won't be able to A/B an NRP Steel Tricone against the M1 Tricone. I can A/B the M1 against other steel body models but not the NRP.

I think I prefer the fuller sound a 12 fret with no cutaway gives. Again, am I delusional in hearing that difference? I would rather have a fuller sound and sacrifice access to upper frets if need be. But if I can more easily access the upper frets and retain the fullness, that's great. I'll be able to play a steel body cutaway, but won't be able to compare it in a store to the NRP Steel Tricone.

How much does weight affect your enjoyment of playing? I have a Les Paul (Studio) that I barely ever played in part because of the weight. However, I played my electrics standing up, whereas I anticipate playing the resonator sitting down. Do you still notice the weight in a negative fashion sitting down? I might start off my testing of the models by playing a steel body one exclusively for 20 minutes or so to get an idea.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to playing steel vs wood bodies live either plugged in or mic'd up? Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks. I look forward to reading your responses.