View Single Post
Old 05-25-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
​Thanks for your confidence in me! I am planning to do a flamenco guitar probably sometime next year. I already have the model in mind:

It is taking me some time because of research or let me say I'm trying to understand what is it that makes a great traditional flamenco guitar. What is it that I would have to offer to an instrument that already has so much history and tradition? Part of the problem is I don't come from flamenco guitars, I really need to "get it" before I jump in with both feet and say "Hatcher Guitars now offers a traditional style flamenco guitar" but, when I do I want to have done the hard work and have full confidence in what I'm offering.

Mark
Great to hear you are planning to make a flamenco guitar! The drawings for your model in mind seem very interesting indeed. Would I be right be presume the upper bout is smaller than the more standard 11" upper bout of a flamenco guitar?

I can understand why one would require a fair amount of time and consideration towards the flamenco guitar. There is a huge amount of history and tradition (a lot of conservatism) attached to it as well, and in many ways the flamenco guitar is the least evolved of the guitar types. It's a form of the guitar which provides little for the luthier to distinguish themselves from a visual aesthetic but 'under the hood' is where all the magic happens.

The flamenco guitar is a really beautiful form of the guitar and as enthusiast I find it's a shame comparatively few seem to appreciate it.

I consider myself to be reasonably well versed in the world of flamenco and if there are any areas I can provide some info towards I would be delighted to do so.

I eagerly await to see the progress of your flamenco build Mark...