View Single Post
Old 05-04-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcomber View Post
I've been enjoying the guitar now for several days, and I have a few more observations to share.

First of all, this guitar is extremely sensitive to right hand technique. It sounds best when picked with bare fingertips.

The 000-15SM is capable of amazing sustain and bloom, but only when it's played just so.

With a flatpick, it is very particular about how much attack I use, as well as how I grip the pick, ranging from smooth/fulsome to harsh/thin and everything in between. It seems to respond best to gripping the pick close to where it strikes the strings, with just the right amount of grip force, and at a particular angle. The touch sensitivity of this guitar is quite extraordinary.

Now, I don't mean to sound corny, but learning my way around this instrument is not unlike courting a lady. It's as if the guitar is leading me, indicating how it wants to be treated, and rewarding me when I get it right. I've never experienced this from a guitar to quite this level.

And, oh, that heavenly mahogany aroma!
This is my exact experience. It is very touch sensitive, period--sensitive to pick angle, grip, attack, and location. I am not an "over the sound hole" strummer or picker (except fingerpicking softer, lyrical stuff that just blooms out of this guitar).

I like the area between the bridge and sound hole, especially on this guitar, and I move around a lot and alter my grip and shift the pick angle a lot. The great thing about playing closer to the bridge is you can get more aggressive without overdriving the top (which is much more likely over the sound hole). Also, as you described, just a little movement closer or farther from the bridge changes the tone significantly. I take advantage of this the best I can with my skill level.

These little fellas have a lot to offer IMO, definitely not one trick ponies.