View Single Post
Old 08-28-2017, 06:52 PM

While I was waiting on some glue to dry on a cabinet today I got to work on the top braces a little. I traced the braces as they were laid out on the plans. Attached the tracings to some hardboard and made some patterns and then pre-cut my braces.
I then thought I'd go ahead and cut the joint for the x braces. Well, I cut the first notch on a 90 degrees, Had a PERFECT fit on the joint. FIRST TIME ! AWESOME! UNTILLLLLL I laid them down on the top. No where close to being lined up with the marks on the top. It never even occurred to me that it wasn't a 90 degree cut. Should of paid a little more attention BEFORE I cut the joint.

So I guess I get to make x-braces again. Nothing like repetition to learn how to do things right I guess????????

20170828_171842 by Cabinet Man, on Flickr

On another note, Anyone ever use Apple Wood to build a guitar out of?
Hated to see it but My BIG OLD apple tree fell over in the yard so I got to cut it up this weekend. It was rotted out about a foot up in the trunk. Counted the rings where I cut it off at and it looks to be about 57 years old. Worst thing is its where all the deer come to the yard to get the crab apples. I'm going to have the trunk sawn up into lumber and have it dried. Will use the limbs for the smoker. I think I will have a lifetime supply of smoker wood!
20170826_130932 by Cabinet Man, on Flickr