View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
Wow, Glenn! You're having a busy week with the Everly Brothers and doing a fine job at it, too. Very nicely performed!

Your editing and mixing skills are very good. How much time do you spend in post on putting these together? On my woodworking channel on YouTube I often video a 20-30 minute portion of a larger project but it's not uncommon to spend 2-3 hours putting all the camera views together, creating and editing voice-overs, etc.

David
Hi David,

Thanks so much for your comments and your kind support! I'm so glad you thought this came out okay.

This is a song I already knew from the past, so getting the first video and audio recording with me singing the lead vocal part and the guitar part took about 45 minutes, maybe an hour. Then I listened to the recording to make sure all was well, adjusted levels on the mixer, and then I added harmony.

I had never sung this harmony before -- my wife used to sing the harmony -- so I had to learn it by singing with the Everly Brothers a bit. So that probably took about 10 minutes, because the harmony is fairly predictable, just a little on the high side. So then I recorded the harmony and that took probably another 2 hours. I record two harmony tracks and pan them full left and full right, kind of Simon and Garfunkel style. It makes everything sound a little thicker.

Then I added some percussion with the cajon using brushes. That took about 20 minutes and then I added the shaker and that took another half hour.

Then I had to use automation in Cubase to deal with the ups and downs of various voices and the guitar. Setting that all up to do a mixdown probably took an hour.

Once I had the mixdown complete and all the various videos of parts uploaded to my computer, then I loaded in Adobe Premier Elements and started the video programming. I think it took me about an hour, maybe an hour and a half to do the video programming. I am fairly fast at video programming because I have done it a lot in recent years.

So if I add all those times up it took me about 6 1/2 hours to do the entire project. I started at about 10 AM and finished at about 4:30 PM. I worked through this time without taking much in the way of breaks since my wife was gone and I had the time to invest.

Thanks for your interest, David!

- Glenn