View Single Post
Old 07-19-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim88 View Post
Hi David,

Have you thought about just using a coping saw for your curves,,simple and cheap,,

Enjoying the build hope it continues well for you,

Best
Hi Jim,
Perhaps that would be an option but I don't have one and a coping saw is one of those tools i had bad experiences with in the past so its not one of my go to tools. Planes are in the same category, i've been getting back into them with my finger planes, but i think every time in my entire life that i've used a larger plane, i've ended up causing damage and it makes me very nervous about using them. one day if i can afford it i'll buy a good quality plane and then hopefully i will damage less work and might start using them more.
There is actually a smaller band saw in the workshop that has a smaller blade on it that would cut curves better but it got damaged and its been out of commission for months now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Oh, I like this end wedge design! Something to keep in mind for my own build coming up in September. I'm not looking to use dyed maple like you have, but an abstract design of scrap pieces joined together.
Thanks!
Before installing it I laid out the wedge on its own as per a 'typical' end graft and it looked ok but kinda like the blue was thrown in as an afterthought, so i tried it this way and I think it looks a lot more deliberate and purposefully incorporated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianli408 View Post
I am interested to know whether the excess wood can be planed away
Would this damage the grain structure
It would probably be ok, you'd need to watch at which point you need to turn around and plane the other direction. I trimmed the excess on a table router with a bearing cutter and it took me 3 minutes, even then you have to watch which direction you run the grain against the spinning router cutter to avoid grain being ripped out but its fairly straightforward