View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 11:26 AM

Default NGD: Recording King RP-06. Report and Questions.

Empowered by a recent thread here about MF’s Stupid Deal of the Day, I ordered one of these, as a camping/loaner guitar. Conclusion: with a couple of minor issues to be resolved, this is a very capable and satisfying instrument!

It’s very similar to by Blueridge BR-341 in size, shape, and design. Differences include the longer scale length (by approximately ½”), a slightly narrower nut (1-3/4” vs. 1-7/8”) and bridge spacing, and 6 separate “butter bean” tuning machines.

Workmanship is very good with no noticeable flaws. Frets are dressed, although they feel a bit "sticky" during string bends. I did pull a piece of sandpaper out of the sound hole, which I suspect was left there to support the “hand crafted” note on the label. : )

Entire body is covered with a glossy lacquer finish. I suspect it restricts the tone, a bit, but makes for good protection.

Neck arrived with no relief, resulting in fret buzz, but a torque on the truss rod easily fixed that.

Tone-wise, the RP is surprisingly bright, almost jangly in the upper register. Hopefully, this will improve a bit, with playing. I’ll likely add a sound port, which should bring out a bit more bass. It came with D’Addario phosphor bronze (lights, I think.) Any string suggestions for increased bass are welcome.

According to RK’s site, the fretboard is made of “Revebond.” What is that? I suspect it’s a synthetic/composite material, dyed black to resemble ebony. My fingers turn black, from playing; again, this should improve, over time.

The other criticism is the string spacing. The first string is a bit too close to the edge of the fret board. I’ll leave it for now, perhaps try heavier strings. Otherwise, replacing the (bone) nut and saddle will be necessary.

Had I paid ~$300 for this guitar, I would be pleased and likely keep it. At the price actually paid, she’s definitely a keeper.