Thread: Blackbird Savoy
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Actually D, I always pretty much rolled with it too. Never gave it much thought until, for whatever reason, I became acutely aware of the comfort, ease of play and intimacy I was realizing from my small Cargo. Among the many reason, I’ve come to realize that the little extra string spacing was making a positive difference in my bare fingerpicking, and I liked it. So, I’ve only recently learned that if I have a choice, I’d go with 2-1/4”. Of course, finger size among players makes a difference in how this is perceived, or not. One might think that a player with short, stubby fingers would notice more and benefit from a bit wider spacing. Not necessarily so. Mine are fairly long and skinny, and I notice...after many years of not noticing though. Maybe it’s a byproduct of aging.
Tom... I agree; if a 1/16th inch difference in string spacing at the bridge results in a noticeable improvement in your fingerpicking, then by all means seek out 2 1/4" spacing and bypass guitars that you can't get that with. But this may also mean that you bypass guitars which have other desirable qualities that you might wish you had? Compromise... is what life is all about, ultimately.