View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 01:53 PM
*mahoganut*

I didn't vote - the option I would have selected would be "I've auditioned them and decided they're not for me".

To be fair, I tried only the CA models - the dread-type and the om-type. Both were nice - sounded fine, no complaints. They were heavier than wood, but not significantly.

My issue was price. The places I want to take a 'camp' guitar have these hazards: wet/humid, hot/sun, impact/dropping/stepped on, and theft.

For wet and hot (or very cold) the CFs shine - best option out there imho.

For impact or dropping hazards, very good to excellent.

For being stepped on, well, not sure. Not that my horses usually are free to roam where I leave anything sitting out, but this relatively low-likelihood risk would be better than wood by far but maybe not immune.

And theft? Just as susceptible as any wood guitar.

So, my solution was to buy an inexpensive but decent (solid top) Alvarez entry model - close to 10% of the price of the CA. If something damages or removes the Alvarez, I can afford to replace it. Not so easily the CA. And the Alvarez (all mahogany btw) sounds and plays fine. Or, at least I thought so. My fingers around the elk hunt camp fire this year felt 3 sizes too big (20 degrees F away from the fire; 80 degrees F toward the fire...) and I could hardly play much at all anyway. Guitar shows no signs of being affected by the weather extremes btw.

Cheers,

rr