View Single Post
Old 07-26-2020, 09:03 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default Playing instead of just practicing

I started playing through 4 tunes the last few days, while working on a tough stretch in one of the tunes. I knew I would pop a tendon if I just worked on that stretch and nothing else so I used the 3 other tunes as an extended warm-up before hitting the tough one. In the past I almost always concentrated on just 1 tune and then played 1 or 2 once in a while during the week to break things up.

Tonight I added two more that I had learned in the past and I'm going to re-acquaint myself with them. Everything is in CGDGAD right now, later I'll get out 2 more guitars, one in DADGAD and one in Orkney and have some nights when I just play in one or both of those tunings, going over stuff I had learned and forgotten.

I'm enjoying my playing much more doing this. This reminds me of when I was a 20 something sitting there with those big books that Neil Young, the Beatles and Led Zep had out and playing through all the tunes I knew. I ended up memorizing a few tunes that way, I'm wondering if this will kick start some of my gray matter

If something gets good enough to record, I'll do it, but I'm shifting my goals a bit away from trying to achieve that "perfect" recording and just concentrate on the enjoyment of playing.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}: