View Single Post
Old 07-03-2022, 09:37 AM

12-string strings recommendation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by negriljerry View Post
I replaced the stock strings on my entry level Guild F-2512E with D'Addario extra lights. Mistake, they sound very tinny and even worse when it's plugged in. Going back to regular lights but would like to spend a bit more for an upgrade, what do you use?

I have two Taylor 12 string guitars, both with large body sizes. I use Elixir PB 12 string light gauge on both. (.010 - .047).

While they certainly work great for me, I do not know how they will play on a Guild 12 string. But I use Elixirs on all my guitars, including my non-Taylor J-200s, and like the results. (The J-200s are all heavily built, while the Taylors have a much lighter build and weight, especially the 458e-R Grand Orchestra; also easily the potentially loudest guitar I have.)

In addition, it doesn't hurt that these coated strings last a long time and don't require constant string changing. Changing strings on a 12 can be a bit of a chore.

I also don't use a pick, but fingerpick all my instruments using my nails as picks. This also works well with the sound and tends to lessen the wear on strings.

Out of an old habit going back to the '60s, I tune my 12s down a semi-tone to D#, and also keep one in DADGAD intevals.

Just another player's opinions, but I've been doing this a while and have tried an awful lot of strings over the years. And many of those actually were truly awful.

Edit ==> FrankHudson's post was not up when I started this, but he brings up another issue about new strings that I will totally agree with. I do not like the fresh string sound much either, and Elixirs almost immediately lose that. And better yet they don't aurally deteriorate much further over their life span until they're 'just dead' (as Arnold said in 'Commando'). And even then they don't require an immediate re-string. Especially on a 12. You can easily guess how I know that.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 07-03-2022 at 10:56 AM.