View Single Post
Old 05-15-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokiehat View Post
No. It was meant to be taken generally in regards to what I think is something of an epidemic on music/production forums. This thread is moving on to a point where things are being said that none of us really have the engineering knowledge to answer satisfactorily and so out comes the anecdotal evidence.

Things like clocking are problems for the people who develop converters. Its not something consumers should ever have to think about. For instance I've seen some people slaving their converters to an external clock and swear blind that it makes their tracks sound 'better'. Then they go on to advise others to buy an external clock to improve their conversion which is dubious advice at best.

I'm just saying that if you want to go down this road you have to dispense with terms like 'better' and 'sound quality' because the measure of a good clock circuit is how steady it is. How little variance it has. So you need to measure jitter and theres absolutely no way that an external clock can ever have less jitter than an internal clock as long as its not broken in some way. There are many threads on this from decent engineers over at places like prosoundweb so I recommend going over there for better advice on the subject if you are interested but the deeper you go, the less relevant it is to sitting down and strumming out a really good song. Which is what I'm trying to do. Its easy to get lost in a peripheral discipline.

I've just seen discussions like this go on for a long time with the anecdotes and on occasion real wignut theories. And I feel bad for people that use forums for learning purposes because they soak up the truths and the lies and they end up forming some very strange ideas about how the whole thing works.
I'm sorry Pokiehat. I am the utter, Titanic king of dispelling bull **** on internet forums. Indeed most times (as here) it's the ONLY time I chime in. The inane dribble that has here to fore been spewed on this subject and in this thread simply got to much for me to handle.

My point (as always) is internet misinformation is detrimental to those that don't know better. I HAVE in fact spelled that out in this thread. This thread...this...THREAD.

Have you really read my responses in total before you decided to criticize? My response in it's entirety is anti Apogee clock and anti Black Lion mod and pro get to work and learn to mix with what you have. Have you read my responses??

That said and for the record I have worked for both DAW software developers (Digidesign) AND clock developers. I know what and how and when clock (and more specifically clock issues) do and DON'T enter the sonic equation.

My advice has ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, without a single nano second of hesitation been.....learn your craft and stop trying to buy your way into good sound. My advice has ALWAYS been use what you have, work you're room and stop attempting to "buy" the banner of Sound Engineer. It's a talent NOT a commodity.

OK as usual I gotta drop out of this slop as it's not getting anyone...anywhere.