View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlorman View Post
Giannini imported some fairly high end laminated Brazilian RW guitars. They've been discussed elsewhere.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=214257
Bill is correct. I bought my first acoustic guitar around 1974. A Giannini steel string with Brazilian (laminate) back and sides. Not a well constructed guitar but compared to anything else I could afford at the time it was by far the best sounding and easiest to play. I still have that guitar (though I've "donated" it to the green room at our church where it hangs on the wall and is used by anyone looking to strum or pick something while our band is hanging there between services and rehearsals). It's been through incredible abuse and neglect over the past 42+ years. Needs a neck reset, re-fret, rosewood fingerboard has some very deep divots from wear on the first 3 frets, needs a new saddle, has a minor seam separation in the top, etc. but it still plays and sounds pretty darn good. It's not worth much, if anything, so I will never put money into it. But, it's cool that it is still serving its purpose - to be played and make music.

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.
- Edith Wharton, writer