View Single Post
Old 11-30-2021, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
It is also going to depend on your use. If you don't play bluegrass you might not want the Gibson tone. If you play with people a lot, a bright Collings might be just the ticket. A friend has a Pava that is beautiful, but he loves my very bright and loud homebuilt F for how it cuts through a combo.

A lot of this is going to be based on use and experience. Even the exquisite Ellis I played didn't do everything well, but what it did, oh my! Knowing what you want only comes from playing a lot of mandolins, and each is worth playing, even if you have not liked them in the past.
Well I had a new Gibson F5G years ago, which I got as a gift but I traded for my first National resonator, a Custom Western D that turned out to be the National reso that I play the most (I got an artist deal with the company and got 3 more resos). That Western D National is still giving up the goods! And I've written plenty of songs with it so I don't regret doing the trade.

The reason I traded away the F5G was that it was too loud and slightly abrasive sounding with the Phosphor Bronze strings, so now I'm dying to try one with the Thomastiks which I thing can help me get the tone out of one! I found one that a guy is going to let me audition, and it should be to my house shortly. Of course I will make recordings.

BTW I have played many mandolins but never something so grand as an Ellis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
I agree that the Breedlove FF sounds nicest in this setting.

Funny thing, I have a Breedlove OF that sounds EXACTLY like this example. I hear the same things that bug me about it when I try to record with it.
When I record the Breedlove OF I know how to get a good sound out of it with creative EQ, but for the test recordings, I wanted you guys to hear exactly what was getting to the microphones, except that I added a same bit of hall reverb to all three tracks because I always do that to mandos. Tomorrow I will be putting Thomastiks on it too

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulHintz View Post
Another vote for the Breedlove FF. Really an interesting test. I’m a guitarist of looong experience but only started on Mando 4 months ago. Not a lot of in-store samples to try in this metro area, if I ever outgrow the Eastman MD605 I have. Won’t be thinking of trying a Collings although I do hope to graduate to something with a wider nut and more string space. Ah…maybe a Breedlove! Thanks for the splendid post and sample.
Thanks you, If you can find a used USA Made Breedlove, they are consistently good! I like the FF as an all around-er. And they have a wide nut 1 3/16" which makes for easy crossing over from guitar.