View Single Post
Old 02-05-2020, 11:45 AM

Richard

Your reference to gull wing instaantly reminded me of the legendary Mercedes 300SL and the Jang bendaway definitely hearkens to the gull wing doors of that classic car design that stands as one of the most beautiful cars ever designed. What an entirely apt allusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mott View Post
“I also love the elegance and curve of the Uchida bendaway”—I could not agree more. In this so-called “Golden Age” of modern lutherie, not surprisingly there have been a ton of major and minor innovations to the guitar’s external physical design. For me, one in a hundred is an actual improvement on, or even equal to, the classic OM or L5 designs. But Isaac’s interpretation of the original Uchida design is one of them. In terms of line harmony, it has the grace of a gull wing, and functionally it improves access to the upper frets without the visual distraction of a full cutaway. Here’s a prediction that it will be around in another 50 years, long after this forecaster has stopped making posts here!