View Single Post
Old 02-01-2020, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

If you are getting a guitar custom built and you have to choose between hide glue or better wood, (or better tuners?), then you are in the wrong place and going down a road you shouldn’t be on. If the builder knows how to use hide glue, they’ll use it, and not charge any extra. It doesn’t cost anything more, or take any more time (some would say its easier), and the fast way it sets up and grabs, plus being reversible, it should make a skilled luthier more productive, and makes repairs down the road much easier. 100s of years of daily use of hide glue in the making of instruments proves that conclusively.

If they charge extra, its clearly not something they either want to use, or know how to use properly, so I wouldn’t ask them to. Let them build the way they feel is best - thats what you’re paying them for. But if they try to tell you it makes a much better instrument, but you have to pay a lot extra for them to use it, then I would question why you’d want to have them build anything - I prefer to support those who build every guitar as though it’s gonna be their best -