View Single Post
Old 02-25-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jilm View Post
Got the bug to try one out, and it arrived Friday. Blue Chip TD 50.

My findings are based on using all picks with my Gibson J-29, a rosewood back and sides slope shoulder with a spruce top strung with a Martin Authentic Lifespan treated 12-54 set.

The picks I used in the shoot-out: Dunlop Ultex 1.14mm, Dunlop Maxgrip nylon picks 1.5mm, Dunlop Prime Tone (smooth brown) 1.3mm, and the Blue Chip TD 50 1.25mm.

BC vs Nylon: As expected, totally different. The nylons are around because when I am singing softly, they provide a muted softer tone with less harmonic content. The BC was much louder, with more going on in every area. More bass, more treble. Bigger and bolder. Again, as expected.

BC vs Ultex: I was surprised here - I like the Ultex line. The BC has less pick noise, is warmer and louder with better highs as well. The Ultex sounded anemic in comparison. Just less going on in the tone.

BC vs Primetone: I like the Primetones as well - I just dislike the ‘click’ on the strings. This battle was closer, but the BC wins on tone here. When the PT gets muddy at times, the BC has a warmer sound but retains clarity. With the PT, the lows sound great, but as you strum to the lighter strings, their tone weakens - the BC has no such issues. The highs are as strong and thick as the lows are, if that makes sense. You can hear each note in a chord better.

All of these picks stay stuck in the fingers well enough, but the BC and the Ultex do the best job on that front. The BC seems to warm up and get tacky in the hand.

Well, here’s the thing. The BC sounds and feels the best. Is it worth 35 bucks? It is to me. I am used to not losing picks, as I have been using 5 dollar Gravity picks on electric for years. I hope my system holds out! I don’t want to lose this one.

And, because of GAS, I just placed an order for a Charmed Life NF-1.15 casein pick this evening. Looking forward to comparing that with the BC.

Happy pickin’!
I live near the BC company. I contacted them and they told me to just come by and try them out. I went by there and I ended up purchasing a couple of pics from them and they gave me a good deal on them. By the way they are great people! I got a TAD80-1R and a TAD100-1R. Well I actually had some buyer's remorse with the picks but it is my fault. I don't have a problem with the thickness. I wanted thick picks. The 80 is 2.0mm and the 100 is 2.5mm. They also stay put in your fingers.

The issue I didn't notice when I tried them out but realized when I got home was the fact that when I pick a string and then pick the same string when it is still ringing out from the previous pluck, the BC buzzes or vibrates on that string. Very very annoying to me. There is more of a click to them too which is bothersome. I literally set two picks aside that I spent over $80 for and have not used them since. Again this is not a slam on BC. I just think that I picked out two picks that were too thick and with their particular material it is an issue for me with the buzzing.

I on the other hand have a Primetone 1.5mm pick that is my go to pick. I love that pick. I still plan on going back to BC and possibly buying another pick from them. I am not giving up on them. I think I need to get a 50 1.25mm or 80 1.50mm. I will pay close attention to the buzzing before leaving next time.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass