View Single Post
Old 06-07-2015, 10:08 AM

I live in a very harsh humidity climate for guitars, and have made a study of this in hopes of creating guitars that don't need babysitting. The 3 primary variables are what humidity % you brace at, the expansion rate of the wood (many are listed here http://www.wood-database.com/), and brittleness of the wood. Also the cut of the wood (quartersawn or flatsawn), but if you're concerned with humidity, it should always be quartered.

Bracing humidity sets the center point. Expansion rate determines the absolute dimensional change (and thus how much stress is generated from a given humidity % change). Brittleness determines how much shrinkage stress it can take before cracking. The result of expansion stress is popped glue joints.

The lower the expansion rate, the lower RH you can brace and not have problems in high humidity. This is the key to making humidity-proof guitars. If you use a low expansion wood, but brace in medium/high RH, much of the potential is wasted because it will likely never reach its humidity ceiling.

Cedar and redwood are more brittle than spruce, but their humidity expansion rates are about half as much as spruce. All 3 crack at about the same humidity % drop, but braced in low humidity, cedar/redwood will tolerate a larger range than spruce ever can.

Honduran mahogany is not brittle at all, and has fairly low expansion rates, so it can be braced in 40-45% and survive just about anything.

Rosewoods (including African blackwood) are more brittle, but do have fairly low expansion, so brace in 30-35% and they'll tolerate a lot. I'd edge lower with Brazilian because of its extreme brittleness.

Ziricote is one of the most brittle of all woods, and its expansion is medium. I have an ukulele with flatsawn ziricote back braced in 30-35%, which seems to tolerate the full range here pretty well. The back seam peels open a bit in low humidity, but the cross grain reinforcement inside holds it together so it's not really an issue.

Ebony has extremely high expansion, and flatsawn ebony is perhaps the highest of any wood, so expect cracks and popped brace joints with it. I'm currently building one with flatsawn Malaysian blackwood (an ebony), which will serve as a test subject over the next few years. It will be braced in 30-35%, with wide braces that can hopefully hold on in high humidity.

Flatsawn pernambuco does indeed have very high expansion.

Mesquite has perhaps the lowest expansion rate of any wood. Desert ironwood and Texas ebony (not a true ebony) seem similar, but I don't have any real data on them to be sure.

Bottom line... if you want a humidity proof guitar, use a cedar or redwood top braced dry, Honduran mahogany back braced medium, and something other than ebony for the fingerboard and bridge.