View Single Post
Old 09-25-2020, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The worst noise for me is a pretty narrow band around 50Hz to 60Hz, not quite as bad around 30Hz, and lower but present at 120Hz and 180Hz. So, it sure seems related to equipment/appliances running off of line power. The 60Hz level is at -60dB down from full scale. When I have my HFP set to 50Hz the level at 50-60Hz drops to around -63dB. I can set my HPF a bit higher (mayber 75Hz) and get improvement for the 30Hz and 60Hz noise, but it obviously doesn't help at higher frequencies. (The test was done fairly early in the morning; no road noise. House closed up. No HVAC on. No fans on. Fridge could be the source.)
When I was tracking down noise, trying to improve my studio setup, I spent a lot of time throwing breakers. It's amazing how quiet a "silent" house can get when you turn off all the power. Hard to do if others are home tho, unless they're willing to help with the experiment.

You could potentially have noise from power sources as well, a power conditioner could help in that case, but it doesn't seem like the most likely candidate.

Quote:
Using the mics and gain and HPF that results in -63dB noise floor at 60Hz, my recorded signal are generally in the range of -20dB with peaks around -10dB. So, the S/N isn't great at the low end of the spectrum, but maybe not atypical of home rooms. The problem seems to be that there is quite a level of mud below 200Hz, of particular concern as the s/n is not very good if I'm playing low notes not too loudly.
Mud in the low mids may be a different issue, that's one of the things room acoustics is all about, and the lower frequencies are where the biggest issues usually are. Basically, your room has resonances, just like your guitar. When I first started recording acoustic, in an untreated room, my low G always sounded weird, boomy. As I learned more about it, I was able to calculate that I had a big resonance in that room, right at that frequency. Nothing you can do other than acoustic treatment, or a different recording space that has different resonances.