View Single Post
Old 11-05-2003, 04:18 PM

Here's my theory on tuners:

Just like a Ford Festiva is not in the same league as a Ford Mustang, the name brand of the tuner is not necessarily indicative of the quality of the particular tuner on the guitar.

1. Pings: My lowly Martin DM had Martin-branded Pings on it. Not so good smoothness, 14:1 ratio. Although I am not familiar with the Taylor Pings, word is that they are 18:1 and are manufactured ot Taylor Specs.

2. Grovers: I replaced my Martin Pings with "Allparts" Grovers (14:1). Much improvement over the Martin Pings, still not quite as nice as the Grovers that are on the Taylor I sold or as the Schallers on my HD-28. These Grovers are a touch sticky and not 100% smooth.

3. Schallers: The "Martin" Schallers on my Martin are great and IMO are equal to the old Taylor Grovers. Not sure how they would compare to "Schaller" Schallers, but I imagine they would be close.

I guess my point is that the maker of the tuners is not as important as the specs that they are built to. I can't imagine Taylor would put Pings on all of their guitars if all Pings were as disappointing as the "Martin" Pings that were on my DM.

If nothing else, I would recommend giving the Taylor Pings a chance before you go drilling holes in a headstock to swap tuners. Extra holes usually don't add value to a guitar, no matter how expertly done.

As always, these are just my observations and opinions.

If at first you don't succeed, find comfort in the fact that the grapes were probably sour anyway...