View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
While I do believe that psychology plays a part in the whole tone game, there ARE differnces in how woods can affect the general tone and feel of an electric guitar. The pickups merely amplify that. To categorize it as "stupid sales hype" is a bit unfair. You can definitely hear a difference between a Les Paul Custom with its maple cap, and a Les Paul Studio, with its all mahogany construction. There's a very noticeable difference between an all maple Strat and a basswood Strat.

Now granted, these differrences are not as significant when you have teh gain on 10 and running a distortion pedal, but I know that each guitar will have a different response and feel.
Your observations are just as valid as any and I think I also would hear a difference between the guitars you mentioned BUT: put 'em behind a curtain and have 10 knowledgeable guitarists listen and reliably pick out the maple topped LP. That is the scientific method. You stated "but I know that each guitar will have a different response and feel". You are already biased. (No offense meant!) I am also biased because I've been told for years that a maple cap brightens the guitar and "everybody knows that".

As for the wood affecting the vibration of a string in a magnetic field? Originally solid body electric guitars were of value because the strings were dampened to decrease feedback. I'm interested in hearing how the wood affects the string vibration, adding or subtracting something to the electrons headed down the wire to the amp - and I don't mean that in smarty pants way!