View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

• String names and order…
  • Names of the notes on the strings (1st 5 frets to start)
  • Learning to play common chords in the first 4-5 frets...
  • Learning to tune the guitar (a clip on electronic tuner is fine)
I agree - this is first lesson stuff for me (as a teacher of beginners), although I usually save chords for the second lesson.
(I assume we can take for granted how to hold and fret the guitar properly...)
As well as the above, I'll hand out a couple of simple melodies to make scale practice more fun. (Ie, the 2nd point above means - for me - the natural notes, aka "C major scale", and there are a huge number of well-known pieces a beginner can play recognisably within a day or two, to feel a sense of early achievement. It doesn't have to be tedious and meaningless "scale practice".)

To the OP:
Your teacher doesn't sound very experienced to me. He may have taught intermediate players before, but should know you're a total beginner, and should be adjusting his lessons to suit. He should be asking you what kind of music you like, and what your goals are (short term and long term); he shouldn't be waiting for you to tell him.
Of course, you may not be ready to tackle the music you like, but he should be showing you the path to that, explaining why what he's giving you is essential or useful.
I never teach techniques or theory without some kind of real music context to demonstrate its application. You have to know why you're doing this or that exercise.

You should certainly never leave a lesson with any lingering confusion. You should have a clear idea of what you're going to work on before the next lesson and why, and be looking forward to it (both the private practice and the next lesson).
IOW, a lesson is where you are taught stuff. Your own practice time is where you actually learn it.
Anything you don't get, you ask your teacher. They're not there to tell you which way to go; they're there to help you get to where you want to go. They may be a very intelligent and knowledgeable guide, but they are only the satnav; you are the driver .

Last edited by JonPR; 02-06-2013 at 04:53 AM.