Thread: NGD...MIM Strat
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2018, 12:57 AM

Default NGD White Strat redux...B4 & after

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
I ran across this MIM Strat on Reverb and pulled the trigger. I've been thinking of getting one of these as a platform to customize and this one called to me. It's a 2015 model in almost pristine condition...virtually zero fret wear, no chips, couple tiny scratches, even the satin finish on back of the neck has not buffed out from playing.

It's not too surprising that this didn't get played much because the set-up was all but unusable. All the saddles were set in a perfectly straight line, the six trem-plate screws were cranked right down and the claw was driven way in to the guitar, like they tried to make it "tight" or something.

I was surprised how good it sounded once I got it set up, though. Sounds like a Stratocaster, plays like a Strat. I wouldn't be ashamed to gig with it...actually used it one night at rehearsal & it sounded fine, if lacking a bit in richness, hardware quality. All these things will be addressed, though. I've had a hankering for a white Strat...just something about them, yeah?

"Whitey"...meet 'The Boys'.

BTW, the seller is doing a thing called "Guitars4Cancer", which is a legit charity...they help rural cancer patients with transportation to & from their treatments, since they are usually too sick to make it on their own. The guy actually offered to give me a better price, but I figured the extra $50.00, or whatever, I saved would make a bigger difference where it was going than it made to me...I just paid him his asking price, which was a fair price for the guitar to begin with...it's all good.
OK...it's pretty much done. I really love it when a plan works out. To recap, I took the stock MIM Strat, a really nice ax to begin with, BTW, & did the following:
* Loaded pickguard with fender CS 'Jeff Beck Hot Noiseless', pearl white.
* Wilkinson Trem bridge in gold; this is an SB version (steel block) & has stainless steel saddles. The six mounting holes are beveled & elongated to avoid any binding and the bridge just pivots on the two outside screws, pretty much feels & operates just like a two-point bridge. The neck is a 9.5" radius & I've set the saddle radius at 12".
* Hipshot Locking tuners (also in gold); these have plates one can use that allows mounting without drilling extra holes for set-screws; it has tabs on it that hold the tuners straight.
* Gold jack plate...just because. I love the look of gold over white.

The tone I'm getting out of this is quintessential Stratocaster...just more emphatic. Gorgeous clean tones, overdrives like a beast and I can see why this is the setup used by 'The Guvnor'...boatloads of presence & sustain. I couldn't put this down long enough to compare with my American Deluxe Strat (SCN Noiseless pups) & my USA Roadhouse (Texas Specials) but first impression is that this one blows the other two away.

Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass