View Single Post
Old 10-20-2021, 06:05 AM

I'm in a circle of networking and IT pros who are all fans of Ubiquiti and their SOHO like called Amplifi. This was underscored in recent times when some of us helped c suite and vital staff with work from home setups.

Radio performance was really great when I looked at reviews now a while ago. The SOHO Amplifi line seems to get patched faster or when other stuff using generic chipsets and radios doesn't get patched.

If you want quality and good life cycle it might be time to go with something that's WiFi 6. Something else about the radios is in all the past near 2 years of work from home support is noticing some popular stuff did not or does not have band steering where you can mix devices with 2.4 GHz radios with 5 GHz and suffer if your main device has 5 GHz.

The absolute best you can do is get a small Meraki MX but you'll have licensing most do not do for home office. That licensing can also get your network-based security with AMP and content filtering. My fellow pros are not doing that expense at home but use Cisco's technology via the free was OpenDNS now Umbrella.

The was top dog Amplifi models are still sold and now they have a new WiFi 6 model. My house is a neighborhood WiFi blasting island with the Amplif 3-pack, and it helps keep the stuff out of site. I have the base unit downstairs and the 2 "meshpoints" towards ends or sides in top floor so 3 floors of amazing coverage.

Associates who've bought the new WiFi 6 model are finding 1 unit is great for a good sized home where they had repeaters in the past or other mesh setups.

Amplifi also has a great VPN schema. You can VPN to your home and use it's Internet connection as well as access things there.

If you have a DIY spirit, the PF Sense firewall with a separate switch and WiFi bridge is also popular. HP makes a small managed switch you can also find used, and Ubiquiti makes PoE switches more affordable than Meraki if you want to power and control lighting too. That HP switch family has an AC power cord in it vs the wall warts most low cost items have.