View Single Post
Old 11-28-2017, 05:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Why I use laminated linings

Almost every luthier has found a system that works for them. Bruce uses tantalones and Bogdanovich states in his book that he got a better sound when he abandoned tantalones and went with solid linings. The first book I ever read on the subject of guitar making was called Guitar Making and it was written by Art Overholtzer. He uses tantalones and won a prestigious guitar making award. Are there any commonalities in all these makers or are linings a non issue and differences an effect of other factors.

My personal experience is that the sound of my guitars has improved since I began using solid linings but I do not think it is due to the lining per se but rather due to the fact that i do not require the back or the top to exert any control on the shape of the sides. In fact when I glue on the back and top the guitar is no longer in the mold. I share that building technique with Bruce and Art overholtzer who flat stated that the worse sounding guitars he made were made using an outside mold.
So, not to get too pedantic, I use the laminated linings to maintain the shape of the guitar so that I can work with it "in the air" (to quote a luthier we all admire) when fastening top and back. There are other techniques. Laminated sides, and even reversed kerfing to a degree all will add rigidity and solidify the shape of the sides. Whatever the method you know you're good if the sides don't spring out of shape when they are removed from the mold.
Thats my take. Opinions may vary.

Last edited by j. Kinnaird; 11-28-2017 at 09:11 PM.