View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 01:01 PM

Question When you think you wrote it, but may have heard it before - can anyone help?

I sure hope I'm not the only one, but the more licks and chord progressions that I learn, the more I find myself beating out instrumental pieces which seem to be my own music - at least I think they are for not being anything which I aspired to imitate, but then the reasonable doubt starts creeping in. At age forty, I never wrote any songs, so unless I just needed more time with a guitar while learning some of the theory behind music, I'm a little old to just start doing this. Having heard so many songs, some of them more than twenty years ago, how can I know that I didn't get what I seem to have composed directly from something which played from a long-dormant storage cell in my head without the background info (if I ever even knew it)?

Has anyone used a website, program, or anything which could analyze your input for similarity with anything in a database of copyrighted material? Something easy to use, like using your keyboard to punch in the melody, piano style?

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Dave