View Single Post
Old 12-28-2014, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

While typing I see Simon responded - Definitely pay more attention to his thoughts than mine -

NOT a luthier, but some woodworking experience -

I would surface and check those boards carefully, see what your finished thickness is, then lay out your neck in 2 bookmatched pieces. I would add a single lamination of your choice between them so you end up with a stripe down the middle and the width you need for the heel. Or a few laminations if you like the look. You will have to add wings to get the full width for the headstock, but you can cut them from the same stock and align them so they will blend in perfectly. You will definitely want to add a face veneer or front plate - the back is a matter of choice.

you could also stack laminate a heel, but I can't see in your pictures how the grain is oriented in your stock - I am assuming it's flatsawn - so I'd not do it that way - but if it is more quartersawn, thats a reasonable option - just need to make sure the grain is arranged so that it looks matched.

Single piece necks are nice if you can get nice straight grained stock large enough, but they are harder to find and the cost not only makes laminated necks more attractive financially, they can also be substantially stronger.