View Single Post
Old 07-03-2020, 09:10 PM

I really don't expect to do any mixing -- simply record. The big question for me is, if I go with a stand alone device, should I also buy a plug in microphone so I have one microphone on the guitar and one for my voice. If yes, can someone please recommend a complete system of 1) stand alone device, 2) second plug in microphone and related cable, and 3) a stand to mount them on so my hands are free for the guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
First it seems overwhelming at first to anybody not familiar with recording equipment digital and analog, terminology , signal flow etc. etc.

But like anything else it usually becomes less so fairly quickly with immersion and usage.

And honestly your starting budget is fine
One thing you did not mention is if you have a home computer, what kind, and basic specs (only really important depending on below)

The first thing to decide is if you are looking for a stand alone solution (like say the Zoom recorders ). Or a computer and DAW/interface (Digital Audio Workstation = i.e computer based digital audio recording and mixing software solution

There are advantages and disadvantages to either one

Stand along is less money and somewhat simpler in terms of less equipment, has onboard mics (often fairly good) but is also much more limited in things like track count etc., is not as flexible looking to the future . And for any kind of mixing/editing has to be transferred to computer and DAW anyway.

A DAW and Audio interface, and involves more money going in and some extra equipment (but if you have a computer) is namely mic' and an interface and DAW software , but is much more flexible, future proof, and much less limited overall, and allows everything from basic to advanced mixing and editing possibilities

Personally with a possible $1000 budget I would seriously consider a DAW