View Single Post
Old 03-25-2021, 09:48 AM

I lack the will to obtain, maintain, and tote around an upright bass, but love the sounds they make, and make do with that love playing my smaller bass guitars. Besides using virtual instruments to play double bass using my MIDI pickup guitar or little plastic keyboard, I can get reasonable approximations of most things save for arco playing using the a DeArmond Ashbory or U Bass with nylon strings.

I agree with you regarding “Ascenseur pour l’échafaud” -- and it's all the more remarkable in that it's a pickup band of otherwise not highly regarded* musicians that were handy for the gig and the pieces were almost completely improvised. The pieces are short, but the musical ideas and concepts are strong.

*I'm letting "highly" carry a lot of weight in that statement. The bass player we're talking about on that record, Pierre Michelot, was a respected player on the Paris scene, but compared to others who've played with Miles Davis, not nearly as well known or spoken of.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....