View Single Post
Old 12-21-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
The height of strings off the top needs to be about 1/2". The saddle needs to have about 1/8" projection above the bridge. The bridge needs to be 1/2"-1/8"= 3/8" thick.

No.

I see where you're going, and I do believe that you may be able to make a lighter than normal bridge by using a lexan plate to anchor the strings.

There are other ways. I slant the saddle back about 8°, which greatly reduces the load the saddle puts on the front of the slot, so the slot can be closer to the front of the bridge. I angle the pins back at about the same angle. The bridge is full height for the front half, the back half angles from full height to about 1/16" thick. The last bridge I made was madrose and weighed less than 20 grams.
Very close .
By lowering the point on the top of the bridge where the string emerge , there will be less leverage creating shear on the bridge . Combine that with a bridge shape that can enhance strength and the ability to place mass/weight directly under the bridge and easily change the shape and the mass/weight of the anchoring piece , in my case lexan , it should be possible to reduce shear and tune by mass/weight via the bridge area .
Since there is no requirement of a surface for pins to anchor to like in a conventional bridge , bridge design can be optimized for stiffness with no real sacrifice . As long as the bridge can handle the load created by the saddle/s it's shape and mass/weight can be modified as needed or desired .
I made this pinless bridge to a design that it actually does not need because that design is based on a pinned bridge . I could have greatly lessened the effect of shear by making the lever much shorter .
Because mass/weight can now be added or taken away as desired , I can add to the bass side and/or limit/lessen the treble or any combination that I choose via the plate under the bridge plate that anchors the strings . By having the strings anchored to this plate , it makes the plate an integral part of the bridge .
Please excuse me if I am using inaccurate terminology .