View Single Post
Old 11-08-2020, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I have played a number of John's fine guitars over the years. Congratulations on this beauty!

Best,
Jayne
Thanks, Jayne!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marei View Post
Hi Brian, thanks for the pictures. I am very very excited for you. Is the second guitar by any chance a Adirondack/Maple OM? That would be mine which John expects to deliver in spring of 2021.
Yes, actually TWO more in this batch - an OM and a 000-12 Fret!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Gorgeous guitar. I so want a Circa. Mine scheduled for 2022.
Congrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahil.R View Post
That sure is a pretty guitar, and that slotted headstock it stunning!
Ohh dear the Circa slotted headstock and pyramid bridge are the stuff of legend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post
I believe this is my 1000th post. There's no better way to hit that milestone than with a comment on an awesome Circa build post. Maple, no less!!!!

This is insane. I wonder what his output is now. Based on serial numbers, It's got to be close to 200? If that's the case, that makes your statement even more jaw dropping. How the heck did you get your paws on so many Circas? You weren't even at Slobodopalooza at Schoenberg's a while back...

No doubt that John will nail this. For my maple, the neck was a darker hue than the body. So he stained the finish just right on each of the individual components so that it would blend together. I have 110% confidence that he'll crush it for you here. I'm super curious to see what this looks like!!!!

I'm super excited for you. I can't wait to hear one of your awesome videos with this axe. As many of us know, John builds some pretty special guitars, but I feel his maple guitars are incredibly special!
Congrats, Foodie! I’ve always admired your tastes ;-) Thanks for the kind words and the encouragement to keep going in this direction. The maple thing can be tricky, with regards to overall aesthetic. I loved Michael Watts’ solution. Excited to see where we end up! Oh, and yes, after this batch, John will be over 200. Probably around 210 or so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Brian, the elephant in the room is that you could make a paper bag sound celestial. Accordingly, you need a great guitar far less than the rest of us. You should just carry on with what you have and donate the Circa to me: I need it more than you!

I've played a few Circas and "Collings" immediately sprang to my mind in terms of fit-and-finish. In many ways the Circas were so cleanly built they reminded me of those. Not a flaw anywhere to disclose they are "handmade" (and especially not "homemade"!). The pics of your guitar are so crisp.

One in particular sticks in my mind, a 12 fret 000 spruce/IRW with cutaway that had seriously celestial trebles, but in a Martinseque fashion rather than modern West Coast. Lovely.

Cheers,
Steve
Ahh, way too kind, Steve! Thank you. I’m mostly just in love with the idea of a well-executed guitar. Ed Claxton is another builder that comes to mind pretty often for me. Kim Walker’s stuff is magnificent and if I’m being honest, the best of the Froggy Bottoms I come across are of similar fascination to me. Marc Maingard is another I love. I think I recall that Circa 000 12-fret. I didnt get to play it, but John mentioned it as one he was especially proud of!