View Single Post
Old 05-15-2020, 11:21 AM

Default NMD: Apogee HypeMic

I also use Filmic Pro on both my Android Phone and my iPad Pro.

The following is relevant because Filmic Pro will let you choose an external USB mic. If you are going to use the HypeMic with an Android phone, you have to use a different camera app than the one that came with the phone:

If you look at reviews of the Android version of Filmic Pro, there are a lot of complaints about how it isn’t as good as the IOS version. I’ve had both versions since shortly after they came out, and for quite a while the Android version was really inferior. But slowly over time they have improved it to the point where now they are mostly the same...which is to say excellent.

Be aware that with Filmic Pro, they are also going to get you for paid add-ones which you can live without, but are worth the money.

One beautiful thing about the iPhone is that it has several mics from which you can choose when going between the front and rear cameras. Android phones typically have a single mic. The importance of this goes away however once you choose an external USB mic, and the experience is about the same.

Be aware however that different phone cameras have different specs. The selfie cameras in particular are usually to lessor specifications. For example, on my OnePlus Pro 7, the selfie camera has a small aperture, is fixed focus, and has a top resolution of 1080p. The OnePlus Pro 8 uses the same rear facing camera, so there is no improvement there this year.

None-the-less, I am pleased with the look and am really looking forward to adding the analog compression of the HypeMic to the equation.