Thread: RIP Tom Doerr
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2021, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
Such sad news.

Tom's guitars were great, of course. More importantly, he was a lovely guy.

When writing my musings about 2015's Memphis Guitar Show for Fretboard Journal, I selected one of Tom's guitars as my favorite at the show.

This is my guitar. I bought it when he posted it here in the forum for Memphis.

It was the beginning of a beautiful relationship. It is now accompanied by a MD Braz under Addy. That guitar was five years in the making, largely due to my life circumstances going though some tough times. These are the only two acoustics I own.

I only learned of Tom’s passing today from Tim McKnight. I am still stunned and processing his passing.

I was concerned when he didn’t reply to my text, which is never more than the next day. It was more than a builder-client relationship or at least to me it seems so; perhaps that was just Tom’s way.

Forgetting about the huge loss to the luthierie community, I feel for his family. He was so full of energy and enthusiasm; for everything.

The Memphis guitar is with its original owner (me) and I’m still amazed that he got such an amazingly large sound from such a small guitar AND ….he did it with maple and then painted it black - perfect! This is the guitar that was briefly on consignment at Sound Pure during my divorce - I got it back before it sold.

The MD is a cannon of bells. And something spelled similarly. It too will make music for as long as I have anything to say.

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red

Last edited by lizzard; 12-27-2021 at 11:17 PM.