View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 02:33 PM

Default Another string update

I love the John Pearse phosphor bronze strings so much on the X30 I decided to give em a go on the X20 last night. It couldn't have went worse. Made the X20 really muddy with poor note separation. Played for about an hour or so and put the X20 down. Its fascinating how you can love a certain set of strings on one guitar and hate them on another.

Here I am today and decided to take them off and try John Pearse pure nickels. I bought both light and medium gauge and I've been using mostly bluegrass gauge the last while but decided to give the lights a try. So far very impressed with these strings I decided to try them on the X30 as well. Same result...impressed. I have tried the D'addario nickel bronze on the X30 before (never had the X20 then) and I thought they were just ok. To my ears the JP nickels are warm sounding but a tad brighter than the D'addario's (from my memory). I'm planning to do an X30 vs X20 tonal comparison video in the near future so it will also be a good time to showcase these strings as well.