View Single Post
Old 04-22-2019, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Glad this was helpful. It often just takes a demo to see the possibilities. For my first solo guitar CD, years ago, I used Audition and did everything in destructive mode.

Shortly after, I had a chance to record some stuff in a studio with El McMeen as a producer, using his regular recording engineer. I didn't end up with any keeper tracks, but what I saw the engineer do during editing and mixing was eye-opening, all the non-destructive editing, cross-fading - parts were flying everywhere. One thing that has really stuck with me, aside from just watching the general workflow, was a little trick El suggested in one part, a little arpeggio or something where the timing seemed to be off. Rather than redoing the take, or trying to edit, El asked the engineer to use volume automation to slightly lower the volume of the first note in the lick and ramp up the gain into the last note. Suddenly sounded great. A good lesson that timing, dynamics, phrasing, etc, are all interrelated, but also opened my eyes to what a more serious DAW with an experienced engineer can do.

That experience lead me to Logic eventually, which has some astonishing features - for example, I have another video on my channel on the "comping" feature in Logic, showing how to use that for a non-destructive, and very easy, way to edit multiple takes together. Audition doesn't support this, as far as I know, tho I think there are a few other DAWs that do something similar. Logic's "flex-time", where you can stretch and nudge notes to fix timing without (usually) hearing audible artifacts is another really cool feature of Logic. But Audition has plenty of great features, too.

BTW, in this demo, I loaded the M-S Bricasti sample, that's actually forces the input to mono, then produces stereo reverb. If I had instead, selected both the L and R impulses, the reverb would have been true stereo, which sounds slightly more spacious. I didn't realize I had that option until I tried it just now.

Another trick, if you are trying to tune into reverb is that you can click the pre-post button on the guitar track - right before the send level, to toggle whether the send is before or after the volume control. In "pre", you can mute the guitar track and easily hear just the reverb.