View Single Post
Old 03-19-2015, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofC07 View Post
This is my first post. As the proud new owner of a Martin Custom D-42, who travels frequently, I know I want/need an excellent travel case. I have narrowed the search down to Calton (Austin, TX) and Hoffee cases.
Hi CC07…
I'm partial to my Caltons, and glad the company has moved and is undergoing a rebuild.

Not only are my Calton cases a great fit, and ultimate protection, but a bigger pick drawer and extra space/room under the headstock to carry straps, lifts etc.

I'm not sold on watertight construction. I fear that humidity levels bolstered by active humidification in a case may lead to 'issues' with finish or the guitar's structure. I prefer that my cases exchange air with the room they are in.

A watertight sealed case certainly seems like an environment ripe for growth of unwanted organisms…

My assumption with guitar cases (even with my Caltons) is they will eventually reach the same level of humidity as the room that I humidify and store them in, so I only use case humidification when they travel outside the house for more than a day. I'm not sure that would be so if the case is tightly sealed.

I've looked at and handled some of the Hoffee composite cases, and while lighter than my Caltons, I'd have to carry an extra bag or other container to transport the guitar and my essentials which I easily put in the pick drawer of the Calton.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…