View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 07:38 PM

David, I wasn't trying to imply that the sealed gear 510's are better simply because they're sealed. But I have had open gear Gotoh 510's on several instruments, and those simply don't compare in terms of overall accuracy to the sealed gear 510's. It's been open gear 510's that I've replaced with sealed gear 510 minis on at least two occasions, and got better accuracy once I did.

I've had guitars, mandolins and dulcimers with open geared tuners, with most of the current brands represented: 14-1 Grover Sta-Tites, 18-1 Grover Sta-Tites, Waverlys, open gear Gotohs both 510 and regular production, Schaller, Ping, Schertler and one set of custom ordered Rodgers tuners for one of my mandolins.

Of all of those brands, only the hideously expensive Rodgers and the somewhat expensive but excellent quality Schertler tuners are as smooth and accurate as the sealed gear 510's.

So I'm not on an anti-open gear tuner vendetta, but I am pragmatic about it, and simply prefer the tuners that I know work best for me.

Hope that makes more sense.

Wade Hampton Miller