View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Jorma View Post
Hi,

I could really use some help!

I have a Matrin 000-18 with K&K Trinity Pro system (dual channel preamp).

What DI boxes can you recommend for live performance? Sometimes I use effect pedals, does this matter when choosing DI?

I want a quality product for example Radial(SB-1, PRO48, J48, PZ-DI) BSS(AR 133) etc. A local guitar shop (same place where I bought my 000-18 and Trinity Pro System) said that any decent DI should work cause the sound coming out of the preamp is so good, BUT in a same breath recommended Fire-eye Red-eye. But can it cause some kind of negative effects to have 2 preamps with same signal chain?

I also have BOSS RC-300 loop station and would need 2 mono boxes for that too. I was hoping that the DI I buy for my acoustic guitar would also work well with the RC-300. Then I could buy just 2 boxes, instead of 1 for acoustic guitar and 2(or 1 stereo) for the RC-300. What do you guys think?

Thank you!

There is probably no need to combine the Trinity Pro with another preamp just to get the impedance match and signal balancing, especially if you are happy with the sound of the K&K preamp.

The Radial J48 and JDI both have a merge feature where the line output becomes a second input and the two are summed to the xlr out. There are also stereo versions of both of these. They both sound great and with a setup as yours the JDI would be my choice.

The Pz-DI is my go to DI when I am mixing acoustic instruments, whether they have onboard preamps or not. If an artist has a separate preamp and the sound is good then the JDI it is.

We used to use the BSS AR133 a lot and we still have them somewhere. Since we went over to Radial we have only used them when we had such large events (or simultaneous events) that we ran out of Radial! They are pretty good but the Radial J-series is even better, more transparent and versatile. The BSS can run off batteries on the other hand though I wouldn’t want to do a gig where I had to reply on a DI’s battery...

Assuming you want to use the looper in stereo then a stereo DI is called for. If you are prepared to splash out then the JDI duplex will probably cover everything you want - you can run one channel as a stereo to mono merge and the other as a regular mono. I have one of these and we have one at work and they are just the business stereo DI-wise. But they ain’t cheap...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden