View Single Post
Old 01-11-2021, 03:13 AM
Charter Member

Default 1985/1986 Lowden L25 -SOLD

Hi All, this is back on the market. I had sold it on reverb, but the buyer backed out after paying when he realised that he would have to pay tax on importing it.

I’m selling my 1985/1986 Lowden L-25. It is serial number 31, which was built just after George Lowden brought back construction from Japan, but before he lost control of the company. It is generally agreed that the guitars from this era are on par with the current construction, and it is certainly true for this one. The main difference is that this guitar has had 35 years to mature and has become something special! I like to think that because it’s such an early serial number George Lowden must have done a lot of the work himself, as he didn’t yet have his team trained up.

The guitar is structurally sound, with some assorted bumps and bruises, which are to be expected on a 35 year old guitar. However, there are no cracks or dents or anything structurally significant. The only thing worth mentioning is that there is a tiny bit of a gap under the back end of the bridge, but it’s still holding on just fine and has been like this for years. It would cost about 50 Euro for a luthier to put some glue under it and clamp it down, but I don’t think it’s even necessary at the moment. I’ve reduced the price accordingly. The frets are in very good condition with hardly any wear. The neck is straight and the action is perfect at 2.5mm (low E) and 2mm (high e) at the 12th fret.

The specs are essentially the same as the current O25 model:
Cedar top and Indian rosewood back and sides (all solid)
1 ¾” (45mm) nut width
2 3/16” (55mm) bridge spacing
5 piece laminate neck

I’m asking 2200 Euro, which is quite a bit under every other Irish build Lowden in reasonable condition that I can find. I’m happy to entertain trade offers for other acoustics. The guitar is currently in Switzerland, but I’m happy to post and have extensive experience shipping and mailing guitars internationally.

More photos are available on my reverb listing: https://reverb.com/item/38281262-low...rthern-ireland
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lowden_L25_01.jpg (31.5 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg Lowden_L25_11.jpg (26.6 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg Lowden_L25_18.jpg (25.8 KB, 226 views)

Last edited by brianlcox; 01-23-2021 at 01:06 PM.