View Single Post
Old 01-14-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Brent
I've seen both James Taylor and David Wilcox move a capo mid song for modulating when playing solo (no band to cover for them).

The response in the room when David Wilcox did this was an audible 'ooo' on the part of the audience (and a smattering of applause). I attended one of his workshops and it came up as a question (how do to do this smoothly).
I was in the audience when David Wilcox did it and was one of the audible 'ooo's. He uses all kinds of capo tricks to get his tunings, iirc. On a related 'audience impressing' note, with all the focus on his fine songwriting and guitar skills, he doesn't get enough credit for his soulful, funny, highly entertaining patter. I'd pay just to hear him talk between songs.

Somewhere on youtube is a Tommy Emmanuel workshop video showing him throwing his capo. And he basically says, yeah it's 100% an entertaining gimmick, I'm an entertainer.

As far as key changes go, there's a long list of songs that wouldn't be the same without them. Kermit the Frog (Rainbow Connection) and Bon Jovi (you know the one) approve this message. Personally I use a combination of barre chords and partial chord shapes vs moving a capo, but maybe I'll rethink, could be fun.