View Single Post
Old 01-08-2021, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccosta View Post
John - thanks for the reply! I think you might have misunderstood - I'm asking about pinLESS bridges.

Does a bridge plate still serve the same functional utility in a pinless setting?
Yes bridge plates are necessary.

I have a mid to late 60s Regal that the old bridge came of by pulling the back of it and slitting the bridge in two leaving the front.

I removed the remnant, cleaned the footprint of the old glue and used original titebond and clamps to glue the new one in place.

I was considering converting to a pinned bridge, but the old bridge held for 20+ years so the new one should perform just as well.

It had a couple of countersunk holes on the lower part of it but I opted out of using screws to help hold it in place. That's right where the old bridge split in two and with out the screws it might have pulled off in one piece instead of two.

If you have never done this I suggest taking it to a luthier if possible. It was not possible for me, so I watched tons of ytube "bridge" videos and had a very good idea of how it's done and why.

Good luck

Ron