View Single Post
Old 04-11-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
meaning you don't have to bother replacing the bridge itself and getting that to match the top's curvature exactly?
The OP mentioned a Loar LH-600 ... do these replacement saddles exist for that make and model? Are they good for purely acoustic playing too (= they're not a lot heavier than the original)?
Correct. As long as the post spacing is correct, the foot of the bridge can be left alone. Swapping the top of the bridge is possible on any guitar where the post spacing of the foot is a match.
I cannot hear any negatives playing unplugged. I think the tune-o-matic is a bit heavier than the original top of the bridge, but you will not hear a difference acoustically (unless you have an overactive imagination) .
One thing I forgot to mention: A smaller sized archtop is a lot easier to hold and play than a full size jazz box, like the uptown 900 series eastmans. I have actually sold an otherwise super nice 910 series Eastman, for this reason.
To me, it is eaither the 503 series, with a carved spruce top, or if I wanted an ES 175 style guitar, I would do the AR-371 ( fully laminated top, just like the Gibson). Both superior to the Loar imo.