View Single Post
Old 11-05-2021, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
What's the news here?

I'm debating the same question; spring for an LH-650 or something like an AR805CE if I see an affordable used one. Me too I plan to fingerpick mostly acoustically, I'll take the pickup along with the cut-away and maybe use it if I decide to join the local school jazz/blues class.

Note that the later AR805CEs have a fixed instead of a floating pickup, and 2 controls fixed in the top rather than to the fingerrest. That's bound to affect their acoustic voice!

EDIT: is the AR805CE X-braced? Interestingly I heard a comparison video the other day of 2 luthier-build L5 copies by Cranmer Guitars, one X-braced, one parallel braced. I think I prefer the sound of the parallel braced one...
Hi, just looked at both of their websites. On "The Loar" I can't see the LH650.

On the Eastman site the AR805 and AR610 are listed under carved "electrincs.

Essentially, if you want 'lectrics, then have a floating p/up on an acoustic , carved top,
If yuo have a p/up screwed to the top, it is NOT an acoustic guitar.

Remember that Gibsons built to take screwed on p/ups had something resembling a fence post glued inside to kill the acoustic resonance and reduce feedback issues.