Thread: mellow strings?
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2020, 10:58 AM

As I wrote to you in another thread I follow your situation carefully as I ordered an X20 with an even shorter scale than yours. The possibility of receiving a guitar with a sound similar to what you describe is high. I found myself, last year, in a similar situation (the search for suitable strings for a too bright instrument). I've only been able to play a Taylor GS Mini for a while and I immediately appreciated the short scale of this little guitar. but despite having more volume than I expected, unfortunately it immediately seemed too full of mid-highs, bell-like dingling and dangling. Of course I can't ask a GS Mini to be what it isn't but I immediately thought that combined with the right strings it would still give me satisfaction. So it was...really...
Inevitably, my choice fell on those defined 'low tension' strings and among these the round cores have advantages over the exa cores. I prefer fingerpicking rather than strum and I'll tell you right away that the strings that totally transformed the GS Mini giving it a mellow sound with clear and precise notes are the Thomastik Infeld Plectrum. Handmade austrian strings and unfortunately expensive but, living in Europe, I can find them easily. The peculiarity is that (depending on the kit's gauge) they have some flat wound strings rather than round wounds. I became addicted to these strings. They certainly don't have same volume and projection of the Elixir (the strings furthest away from what I'm looking for) but they are so precise, clean and pleasant under the fingers, and they are not mute at all! When you record yourself they are perfect. if your fingers are not particularly corrosive they last much longer than I expected, even a few months without deteriorating at all, as if they had a coating which, however, they haven't. They last much more than the others tested which after a few weeks lose their brilliance and precision. Before arriving at the Plectrums, and after the Elixirs, I tried the Martin Silk and Steel and found them deaf and poorly balanced in gauge between strings. A little better but not pleasant also the Silk and Phosphor, also by Martin. The DR Sunbeams and especially the handmade Newtone Heritage sounds very good, certainly less clattering and much cleaner than the Elixirs, they improved the situation but didn't have that mellow sound I was looking for. I'll try the Monel next time but I assure you that Thomastik Infeld Plectrums worth everything they cost.

Last edited by domen; 12-27-2020 at 11:42 AM.