View Single Post
Old 08-10-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Pick ANYTHING you like and go for it... and then move on from there, if you want! There are SO many wonderful old tunes that employ similar techniques... and once you've got the "Feel" down, you can translate it to any song you think will fit... Lots of fun, and, really, what music is all about... Mississippi John Hurt, Reverend Gary Davis, Leadbelly, Big Bill Broonzy... he list goes on and on!

I've never been one to think, "Oh! THAT is all I want to do with music!", be it jazz, blues, rock, country, folk, whatever. I just LOVE Music in all it's forms, and I want to bring every thing I know and play to every song I choose to do. After beating my head against the wall to get a handle on Travis picking in the 60's, at this point it is so much a part of my playing style that I would be hard pressed to do without it...

A lot of Bob Dylan's stuff translates really well to acoustic blues; easy to re-arrange, re-groove, do a different feel... depends on what you want to do with it. A few of those, to me, are "Down Along The Cove", "Leopard Skin Pill Box Hat"(!), "Don't Think Twice", "Highway 61 Revisited", "Takes A Lot To Laugh, A Train To Cry"...

You get the general idea... you can also, NEVER go wrong by working on the Reverend Gary Davis' songbook!

Have a blast with this VERY important area of guitar music...
I have to admit that I listen to mostly electric blues/blues rock and have just been digging acoustic blues for a few weeks. Thanks for your suggestions.