View Single Post
Old 01-12-2020, 12:57 PM

Default Please recommend a lacquer for my new practice bench

I figured I'd ask this question here since there are quite a few AGF members who know their way around fine woodworking. After experimenting with various chairs and dedicated guitar practice stools, I decided I needed something much simpler, solid and with no back rest.

At a local furniture shop, I found a bench made of solid wood (I forgot to ask what wood, I'm pretty sure it's pine). Since it's unfinished, I'd like to apply some lacquer to protect it from wear and tear.

I have very limited experience with wood finishing. In the past I've used polyurethane spar finish to coat wooden hiking sticks that I make from time to time. I understand that this finish is good for outdoor applications since it provides protection against UV light and drastic shifts in humidity. None of those apply to the bench, and I definitely want to avoid the yellowing that appears with the polyurethane spar finish.

Ideally, I'm looking for a product that imparts no coloring to the wood and offers good abrasion protection. After reading a few blogs, I'm left with the impression that a water-based lacquer might be what I need. Lying around I also have an unused spray can of Deft Clear Wood Finish, but it's in gloss, and the woodworker from whom I bought the bench advised against that and recommended using a satin finish.

So, in an effort as to not ruin this project, I'm looking for some pointers from those of you who have experience with this kind of stuff.

Thank you!

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro