View Single Post
Old 09-30-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I've been on an acoustic binge the past two years, and after returning a Boss Katana I picked up a Marshall DSL40CR to pair with my Les Paul Traditional. So, I spent 2 hours last night dialing in a Bonamassa tone when it hit me.....I need a Tubescreamer, delay pedal, and probably more reverb. I start seeing $$$ signs and I just sit back and let out a huge sigh....

This is why I gave up electric a few years ago. The Les Paul is nice, it really is, but I'm already bored with the "rig" and I am just fiddling with knobs and not playing and getting any better. The tone is nice from the DSL, and I did find a nice trick for a killer Bonamassa tone. Ride the tone knobs down, and use the mid position with the bridge volume on 7 and the neck pickup on 3. Totally Bonamassa!

Problem is that I don't really know what to do now? I've dialed in a nice tone and played my 8 or 9 blues licks and I'm just lost. With acoustic, I write songs and play with my daughter while she plays violin. She doesn't even wanna be in the same room with the "noise" haha.

So, I may return the Les Paul and the Marshall and buy another nice Martin....
I have felt the same dissatisfaction with Les Paul clone guitars with effects and resultant lack of interest in learning due to highly compressed sound rather than spacious possibilities. Les Pauls need to be played loudly and push some real air around, even played clean, imo.
PS. The DSL40 is a nice amp; I would pair it with a Strat or Tele for home use.

Last edited by Jaden; 10-02-2018 at 01:50 PM.