View Single Post
Old 09-23-2021, 10:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkronk View Post
Good choice...BTW, I often use the lowercase version of his name too, though scholars point out that he actually used the standard upper/lowercase for his own name most of the time, saving the all lowercase type for his poetry.

cummings was a fave of mine in high school and college, along with traditional Japanese Haiku (which I found closely aligned).

I did hear James Dickey recite his poetry in person back in college. Enjoyed it but never became a big fan.

What took me a long time to come around to were the sonnets of Shakespeare. If you can look past the tendency to "read the rhymes" and see the conversational breaks in the composition (use the same trick in his plays...it works!), he's a lot easier to understand and enjoy than you may think. Also, take him in small doses at first. But give him a shot. Plenty of riches there if you look for 'em.

Cheers,

Dirk
Funny, I teach Shakespeare, but I've never been a huge fan of the sonnets. To each his own. I honor their brilliance and depth of feeling, but the major plays are so amazing that they blow my socks off every time I teach them. The older I get, the more Midsummer Night's Dream just stuns me. The craft in that play is a real tour-de-force. The Bard at the top of his form.

scott memmer