View Single Post
Old 09-19-2021, 12:20 PM

Default 1st Post: Harsh resonant frequencies - troubleshooting help

Greetings! First post here after just discovering the forum.

I'm losing my mind lately, trying to record my acoustic guitar at home. Unbelievable amounts of harsh resonant frequencies, particularly in the upper mids & highs. Using phosphor bronze strings. Have experimented with different strings, gauges, picks... even finger picking results in the same.

I do frequency sweeping and just cannot get anything useable. The ringing, metalic, feedback-sounding whirs and tones are too numerous across at too many frequencies.

Primarily using matched pair of Aston Starlight pencil condenser mics, Aston Spirit large diaphragm condenser, but have tried 2 other large diaphragm condenser vocal mics I have, and a different matched pair of pencils. All the same.

Using a Scarlett 18i8 interface, Logic ProX.

I definitely need to do more treatment on my room (poor 10x10 setup, but it's what I have available.) Have tried other larger rooms... different mic positions, settings, etc. And we're not talking just flutter echo, nor boxy low mid room noise.

Just hoping to confirm that I'm not crazy, and others have solved this for themselves at times -- or, that I'm just clueless and making some kind of rookie mistake.

Any thoughts or suggestions?